Matrix – open source protocol for online communications: text chats, media: images, sounds; audio and video calls over WebRTC (browser-to-browser connections). Protocol was introduced in 2014 and now have some popularity. Matrix also support open HTTP APIs and work with messages in JSON format between server federations – a lot of servers with specified Matrix software. Guess your qestion – yes, you can also setup your personal server with Matrix.
Today exist the many popular instant messaging platforms: Skype, Viber, WhatsApp, XMPP, IRC etc. Why Matrix is better? Let’s talk about core features:
- decentralization – one conference don’t use one server
- good audio and video calls without pain
- works nice with bad and slow network connections
- chats history synchronization on server side
- multiple synchronous logins (for example: smartphone, desktop, laptop)
- web integration and open API
- seamless clients switching
- totally open source and not requiring any payment
Clients. You can use Matrix on each device with browser and internet connections.
Matrix.org Web client
Vector Web client
Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That’s impossible. Instead… only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon boy: Then you’ll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.